Before breast cancer surgery, we encourage you to ask questions so that you may be better informed regarding your care.
Before surgery, your doctor should provide:
- Specific instructions to follow before surgery
- An overview of the surgical procedure
- Information about recovery and follow-up care
- Have any allergies
- Have taken aspirin in the last days
- Are taking blood-thinning medications (anticoagulants)
- Are unable to lie on your stomach for an extended period of time
After breast surgery, watch for complications, such as infection or lymphedema (swelling in your arm or hand) Call your doctor immediately if you see signs of swelling, a buildup of fluid, redness, or other symptoms of infection.